Brief History of Aldergrove
In the early 1870's, gold miners, loggers, entrepreneurs
and farmers started arriving in the area of Yale Road
and Jackman Road to settle on homesteads that were available.
The people named the area Aldergrove because of all the
alder trees around. In 1885, the first post office was
opened. Also, an abundance of small stores began to open
and more people began to settle
A few years later, a small family by the name of Shortreed
arrived in 1885 and built a log cabin and store on the
corner of Old Yale Road and County Line Road. They later
named that area Shortreed. In 1891, Shortreed opened its
first post office and telegraph line which was operated
in Shortreed's store. In 1887, the Vannetta family settled
there and in 1889, the first Customs Office was started
in their home.
1887, both communities worked together and built the first
elementary school at the corner of Jackman Road. Later,
they moved the school to a more permanent location on
Old Yale Road between 272 and 264. During this period
of time, many sawmills and other mills were being set
up because of the numerous trees in the area. At this
time over 200 people lived and worked here.
1907 and 1914, more services became available to the citizens
of Aldergrove. The Great Northern Railway was built to
Station Road and the BC Electric was extended, delivering
mail on a regular basis. In 1914, Hamre's first bus service
opened and an opera house was built on top of Hamre's
garage. Other shops were also opened. When the first World
War came, their was a great depression and it stopped
a lot of people from coming to the area. A lot of the
stores began to close, but the farmers kept up their work.
in the twenties, Aldergrove got electricity and in
thirties, it got it's first actual convenience store.
Eventually, Shortreed joined up with Aldergrove to
what is today.
Grove Heritage Society
3190 271st Street, Aldergrove 604. 857 0555